07 August 2006

Oil on copper

I've never painted on copper, but I've wanted to for a long time. Copper is, historically, one of the most stable supports to paint on with oil. I recently purchased some small 5 x 7" sheets of copper from the hardware store. I mounted this one on hardboard with Gorilla Glue. I then cleaned it with denatured alcohol and scuffed it with sandpaper. While painters back in the day primed with lead white, I'm going to paint directly on the surface of the copper and leave some of it showing. The panel looks beautiful and I really want to see how it takes the paint. I'll let you know how it turns out.

3 comments:

Takeyce said...

hi - How did the painting on copper work out? I'm curious to see what you came up with.

David said...

Takeyce,

Thanks for the enquiry.

I haven't painted on it yet; my wife had a baby instead. As soon as I have a little more time, I will see what oil on copper is like and post an update.

Takeyce said...

Congrats on the new addition to your family! The copper can wait. ;o)